[CentOS] boot slow at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules"

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Jan 28 21:29:39 UTC 2008

Dan Halbert wrote:
> I have a fairly vanilla install of Centos5 on a desktop box (with a
> Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit NIC). When booting, the boot process
> hangs at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules" for 30-60 seconds before
> proceeding, which is annoying. I have not tried to turn off ipv6
> networking. I guess I could, but is this slowness to be expected? Is it
> waiting for some ipv6 response?

Do you use iptables on the system? On my systems I don't install the
ip6tables package, and disable iptables in my %post in kickstart, and
disable IPv6 during %post as well -

sed -i s'/^NETWORKING_IPV6=yes/NETWORKING_IPV6=no/'g /etc/sysconfig/network

If you don't need IPv6 iptables I'd suggest disabling it, perhaps
something like

chkconfig --level 2345 ip6tables off

(since I don't have the package installed I'm not certain what the
init script name is)

nate