[CentOS] Unknown rootkit causes compromised servers

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jan 29 13:30:11 UTC 2008

Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Alfredo Perez wrote:
>> I will add to that list, change ssh port 22 to somthing else
>>

> Why?  Most of the script kiddies now check all the higher ports for ssh
> too.  Moving ssh's port around solves nothing.

Actually, I have to disagree.

SOME of the script kiddies check higher ports for SSH *_BUT_* I only see
4% of the brute force attempts to login on ports other than 22.

I would say that dropping brute force login attempts by 96% is quite a
good reason to move the SSH port from 22 to something else.

It is certainly not the only thing you need to do, but it is nonetheless
a good thing to do.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes