[CentOS] Dump on remote filesystems?

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 29 13:35:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Tom Brown wrote:

>> I have a couple C5 systems I want to back up.  My plan is to, one way or
>> another, back them up to a C5 machine in my office.  I have samba installed
>> on the systems to back up, the machines are mounted on the system in my
>> office, and a tape library hanging of the system in my office.
>>
>> I was hoping to perform a simple /sbin/dump of the remote systems.  I put
>> together a script for another successful backup I have going on a system
>> with local filesystems.  But for remote filesystems, I get errors of File
>> Cannot Be Accessed (//remote_system/subdir) which does exist as an smb
>> mounted filesystem.
>>
>> I'd use NFS, but I would like a bit more control and some level of
>> encryption for the user authentication and data being transferred.
>>
>> If a direct dump of remote smb filesystems isn't possible, I may opt to
>> have each system perform their own local dumps, then run a script locally
>> on the tape-connected machine to dump those local dumps, or copy the dumps
>> locally then dump them to tape.
>>
>> If nothing else works, I can always install Windows XP and use Windows
>> backup program, but I'd really like to try and get this going under Linux
>> before going that route.
>
> use amanda, www.amanda.org
>
> it rocks

My fundamental question is why dump claims it cannot access what I want it
to back up.   What's to say other solutions - Amanda, etc, will work any
better?   I want to know how to resolve the source problem before looking
into other products.   How will BackupPC or Amanda do any better?

Thanks.

Scott