[CentOS] ISCSI help

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 12:33:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:40 +0000, Plant, Dean wrote:
> I am fairly new to ISCSI and SAN technology but having recently invested
> in the technology I am trying to find out exactly what can and can not
> be manipulated, filesystem wise, without requiring a reboot. I am using
> the inbuilt software ISCSI initiator and multipathing in CentOS 5.1.
>
> My steps so far.
>
> Create 10GB volume on SAN
> # iscsiadm -m session -R
> # fdisk /dev/mapper/mpath0
> # kpartx -a /dev/mapper/mpath0
> # mke2fs -j /dev/mapper/mpath0p1
> # mount /dev/mapper/mpath0p1 /test-mount <--works fine to here-->
>
> Now I want to extend the volume on the SAN to 15GB run fdisk and use
> resize2fs to extend the filesystem, is this possible without a reboot?
> Currently, I don't seem to be able to get fdisk to see the new disk size
> after extending the volume.

ISTR that long ago, "sfdisk -R" would cause a re-read of the partition
info and get it imported. You may need to umount the block devices
first, and/or turn of LVM (haven't tried it with LVM active).

I know it did work, but that was not using LVM and it was on a device
that was not mounted anywhere at the time.

--
Bill