[CentOS] MyhtTV or Freevo or something else?

Thu Jan 3 14:58:13 UTC 2008
Mindaugas <ml at kilimas.com>

  Hello,

  I have the idea brewing for some time in my mind - to build Linux based HTPC. It would be used for movies, cable (analog for now) recording, Stepmania, backup station, etc. And I would like to get some information before proceeding to estimate the cost.

  Which one of the Linux projects would you suggest and why? MythTV, Freevo or something else? Is CentOS good for such task or I should better use some more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora?

  Also what are hardware requirements? I believe HD 1080p h264 movie playback will set the bar. Which Intel or AMD CPU is enough (but not too expensive) for that? And which video card is more suitable for such task.

  HTPC would be connected to Panasonic LCD TV with VGA and HDMI inputs.

  Thanks,

  Mindaugas