[CentOS] Fwd: Securing Linux laptops

Tue Jan 8 14:14:52 UTC 2008

http://www.linux.com/feature/123579

Feature: Wireless & Mobile
Securing Linux laptops
By Rick Cook on January 07, 2008 (9:00:00 PM)

 Print
 Comments
Laptop and notebooks are being stolen at an ever-increasing rate. In
2004, Safeware Insurance which sells computer insurance, estimated
600,000 laptop and notebooks a year were being stolen. In 2006 an
estimated 750,000 were being swiped, according to Absolute Software a
company that makes computer tracking products -- and does not support
Linux. LoJack For Laptops, another computer tracing company -- which
also does not support Linux -- says FBI statistics show 2 million laptop
and notebook computers were stolen in the US in a recent year. While the
figures may not agree in detail, they all show that laptop and notebook
theft is a major problem -- and if you're not careful, your Linux laptop
might be next.

For the rest see the URL.

So what options do we have for encrypting partitions.

Can you encrypt a LVM that has /home on it (or just the ext3 in the LVM)?

What about /boot on a USB dongle.  I actually think I know how to do this at install with Disk Druid.
But can you unmount /boot after booting up (don't want to walk around with the dongle on the system,
wear it around my neck on a lanyard).