[CentOS] Capturing Packets -- Ethereal

Wed Jan 16 21:18:59 UTC 2008
Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com>

This may be off topic, but I think my ethereal question might be simple enough.

I am presently compiling ethereal on a CentOS platform to check it out.

But the packets I want to monitor are actually on a different CentOS platform, and I'd rather not install Ethereal on it, if for no other reason I don't have X-Windows installed on that platform.

My question is, can I monitor/write packets to a file on the more remote machine, and then analyze the packets on another machine using my ethereal SW?

Can I sniff the packets on the remote w/o a full install of ethereal?
   === Al