[CentOS] Hot swapping sata drives

Wed Jan 23 19:56:16 UTC 2008
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

I have a two external USB drives only 1 is connected to centos 5.1 at a
time.
the USB drive is SLOW compared to SATA.
The external drive suppots both connections USB and SATA.

I bought  a little $5 external SATA connector that goes into the
PCI slot area (does not actually take a PCI slot just the backpanel)
and just plugs back into one of the available SATA
ports on the motherboard.

When I turn off the external drive and put the other drive on
the connection and then power on will SATA handle that automatically?
Is there a command I need to run to tell it check for new disks?

Is this possible?
Will I have to reboot to get the swapped external disk detected.

jerry