[CentOS] Could not connect to host box.domain.tld

Thu Jan 24 11:53:45 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

I have used fetchmail/procmail/postfix/dovecot/kmail for some time on my mail
server, and have set this up on three or four machines in the past.  I'm now
setting up a new server and having problems.  I've reached the
thinking-in-circles stage, so need a prompt.

The box in question is called borg2.lydgate.lan, and resides at 192.168.0.40.
I can ping both borg2.lydgate.lan and 192.168.0.40, yet kmail tells me that
it cannot connect to it, either by name or ip.  /etc/hosts has correct lines
for the box.  It has to be something pretty basic, but I can't think what,
unless it is either an selinux problem or ipv6 problem.  I know that in FC6 I
turned ipv6 off (I'd have to search to find how to do that again).

Anne