[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Tue Jan 1 16:57:19 UTC 2008

Mark Weaver wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:57:22 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you ever thought about how rare floppy drives are now?  At best
>> you go with a bootable usb, if your notebook supports bootable USB.
>> My Libretto does have a bootable floppy, but that is something extra
>> to carry.  It will not boot from anything else (besides its HD).  My
>> nc4010 (this notebook) will boot from usb.  My corp notebook (nc2400)
>> is locked down; and I don't see any value at getting corp IT bent out
>> of shape.
>>

> why would you even think about using a Notebook computer as a firewall?
> I was assuming you were going to delegate this task to an older machine
> with sufficient resources to handle the task and not give the task to a
> notebook computer.
Of course in my lab, the firewall is a 'older' machine.  But I want to
learn from this so that when I am at a conference or trade show and need
a firewall 'fast', I can put up the services on one of my Centos notebooks.

BTW, WRT 'older' machines.  I am looking more at the cost of running
these machines (power draw).  It is not just a matter of the $0.124/KWH
that I pay, but the cost to add another circuit (my NOC shares two
circuits that were already runnning at 50% utilizatoin), and the cost of
cooling in the summer (we added a tap into the cold air return system by
the rack fans to capture the computer heat for the winter).

I just got the firewall running (see later note) on a decTOP micro PC
that I pulled the 10Gb 3.5" drive and installed a 2.5" 6Gb drive.  The
system pulls about 10W!  Compared to ~100W for some of my Compaq SFFs.
Let's see 90W/day = 2.16KWH = ~$0.27/day = ~$97.76/year.  That can pay
for replacing another old Compaq with another decTOP (well not really as
you have to add memory,  switch out drives, and add a second USB
ethernet dongle; guess the ROI is around 2 years).