[CentOS] OT: How many watts do I need?

Thu Jan 3 03:02:39 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:24 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 4:43 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> >
> > I would say its plenty big enough.  I ran for many years a amd 2600+ box with
> > 2xhdd's 3 optical drives, neon on the case  a couple of fans, 1gb ram and a
> > couple of pci cards  and i used a 350watt power supply for it
> >
> > I had another athlon64 3000+ system with 6 sata drives and 3 pci cards 1gb ram
> > and two fans  that used a 350watt power supply also
> >

> Either you were lucky or I was not - I burned out a 430w power supply
> with my rig:
>
> CPU:    AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2 x 2.0GHz)
> M/B:    ECS NFORCE4M-A
> K/M:    Logitech EX110 Cordless Desktop (keyboard & mouse)
> ram:    2GB OCZ DDR2 800MHz (PC6400)
> fdd:    Panasonic 3 1/4" 1.44Mb
> hds:    160MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133 & 120MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133
> sds:    300GB Seagate SATA-150/300 320GB WD SATA-150/300
> dvd:    Emprex 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer
>         Hammer 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer/DVD-RAM
> vid:    geFORCE7100gs (nVidia) PCI-E x16
> mod:    Agere Systems 56k WinModem (Lucent)
> cap:    AverMedia Video Capture
>
> It's a little different now (both DVD drives had to be replaced, for
> different reasons), and I've been using a 500w PS for about six
> months, no trouble.

Different mobos may have different needs. I had a 300 watt that was
plenty for my Acer AK77-400 (MAx/N) but it consistently chocked when I
put the Epox 9KRAI-Pro in that case. The Epox manual recommend >= 350
watts - it didn't lie.

Anyway, to the OP: each of your drives and other components will show
maximum needs and your mobo manual may list its needs too. Add them up,
add in a little fudge factor and you'll know.

IMO: I always try to run a PS rated *over* what I need. This is to run
the PS far enough below it rating that it should run cooler than what it
is rated for. Seems to make them last longer and be more reliable.

My Epox board is now on a 550 watt PS, allowing plenty of room for
growth.

--
Bill