[CentOS] anyone care to point me in the right direction? LVS

Thu Jan 3 23:48:48 UTC 2008
Anup Shukla <anup.shkl at gmail.com>

William Ottley wrote:
> i'm trying to setup LVS, and tried both the lvs-dr and the lvs-nat,
> but can't get any to work.

LVS-DR did work for me partially, as-in it did not load balance.
But i am sure it was a mistake on my part. Still have to find time and
test it.

> #1 with regards to the Real Servers, is there anything that needs to
> be configured other that the http service? I ask this, because I
> suspect yes, and it has to do with what type of LVS you have:

The http service + firewall rules (if applicable)

> 1a) lvs-dr: on the RIP of the web servers, create an lo:0 and assign
> the VIP to it

Yes.

> 1b ) lvs-nat: on the RIP of the web servers, make sure the default gw
> points to the inside network card eth1

I have found that the default gw is not really a strict requirement.
Worked for me with a different gw too, but i cannot stamp a confirmation
on that. Got to recheck... just in case.

> 1b) lvs-nat: on the LVS, with 2 nics, eth1 (private where web servers
> are located): 192.168.0.100, and create a nat gateway of
> 192.168.0.254, where the real web servers gw is, and make it eth1:1

Looks Good.

> how do I go about getting diagnostic info from all this? pulse? i
> can't connect at all to any of the web servers..

1. Are real servers accessible from lvs (ping/arp -n?)
2. Does telnet to port 80 (or the one to which http server is listening
to) on real server from lvs work?

if #1 == yes and #2 == no, it might be the firewall on the real servers.

--
Regards
Anup Shukla