[CentOS] Random files in homedir gets deleted

Fri Jan 4 08:46:06 UTC 2008
Christopher Thorjussen <Christopher.Thorjussen at carrot.no>

>> Where can I look for clues? And how do I enable audit for
>> file operations in my home folder?
>>

> If your system is capable, use the SMART tools to check your drive out
> (as CM suggests), something like this:
>
>  smartctl -a /dev/sda
>		<replace /dev/sda with the drive in question>
> See how your 'error count log' is doing. If there are errors, then you
> might want to run that command a few times and see if the error count
is
> still rising.

It's a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running in raid 1+0 on the Perc 5/I with SCSI
drives.

[root at ora01 ~]# smartctl -a /dev/sda7
smartctl version 5.33 [x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4
Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: DELL     PERC 5/i         Version: 1.03
Serial number: 008f71137876e77c0e00b4fdc230c201
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Fri Jan  4 09:43:37 2008 CET
Device does not support SMART

Error Counter logging not supported

Error Events logging not supported
Device does not support Self Test logging

> Is it everything in the /home/online/sh/ directory that is getting
> deleted, or can you see any pattern at all? (it sounds like it is
random
> from what you said...but hard to think of why files would be deleted
> randomly....as you know!)

No pattern so far. Yeah I know it sounds strange for files to be
randomly deleted.

/Christopher