[CentOS] how can i upgrade my Centos from 4 to 5.1

Mon Jan 7 08:03:19 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Tolun ARDAHANLI wrote:
> Hi;
>
> How can I upgrade my Centos from 4 to 5.1?

make full backups of all your system volumes (/, /var, and so forth if
you have them as seperate volumes), shutdown and boot the CentOS 5.x CD,
run an upgrade.

this will probably work if your system is quite stock and you've not
installed any non-centos4 stuff on it.    if you've got a mess of stuff
from non-RPM sources and/or nonstandard repositories, chances are
you''ll either spend about 60 hours picking through the pieces trying to
get it all sorted out, or you'll end up restoring your backups.

Personally, I recommend clean installs.   backup your user stuff, config
files, etc, then wipe and rebuild the system scratch, referring to the
previous configs and stuff for reference.

YMMV.