[CentOS] Probably OT: Has anyone else seen SeaMonkey 'pop' without warning?

Tue Jan 8 01:27:49 UTC 2008
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:17:00PM -0500, Max Hetrick wrote:

> MHR wrote:
> > I sent a bug report to Mozilla about this, but I was hoping someone here
> > might have an insight on this.
> >
> > I use SeaMonkey as my default browser (32-bit even though I'm running
> > x86_64 CentOS 5.1), version 1.1.7.
> >
> > Shortyl after installing 1.1.7 on my 5.0 (and even since 5.1), I noticed
> > that every so often, seemingly at random, although it appears most
> > frequently when I click on something that wants to interact with the
> > file system, the SeaMonkey window just closes.  If I reopen it and go to
> > the same place and try the same thing, it works just fine (and usually,
> > the second SM window is more stable and doesn't do that again).
> >
> > This frequently happens when I try to save a web page, load an email
> > attachment, print a page, or anything that interacts with the file
> > system.  Just now it happened when I tried to switch tabs, but that's
> > unusual.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue?
>
> I've been having this happen on Firefox the last week or two since I
> loaded CentOS 5.1 on my laptop, on just a plain old 32 bit system.
>
> firefox-1.5.0.12-7.el5.centos
>
> I thought it was perhaps one of my plugins I have installed, so I've
> just been dealing with it because I haven't had time to check it out.
> Mine is doing exactly the same thing.

Firefox does this to me quite frequently, and it always has. every new
release they say they've improved the stability, but it hasn't made
any improvement for me in terms of this issue.

I recently downloaded the firefox source and did my own build, just to
see if the failures might have been due to some small incompatibility
between the target system the official binaries are built for, and my
box. Sad to say that while it may not die as often, it still does it.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us