[CentOS] Re: Fwd: Securing Linux laptops

Tue Jan 8 21:44:20 UTC 2008
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:39 AM -0800 Scott Silva
<ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

>> One could also set up a script that automatically sends an e-mail
>> message when the laptop boots, and perhaps periodic e-mails from
>> cron.  This could provide at least the IP address from which the
>> mail was sent which could help locate it.
>>
> If I was in the business of stealing laptops, I would be looking at the
> system   unconnected to the world so as to look for traps like this. Most
> laptops are stolen for the hardware value.

Which is why you want to send the message delayed after boot, not
immediately. Don't holler for help until your kidnapper is out of the room
or you know your rescuers will hear you.

A possibility is to piggyback your cry in an innocuous protocol. For
example, a DNS lookup to a particular domain name.