[CentOS] After 4.6 update: CUPS (via Samba): "'/printers/printers' no good!"

Wed Jan 9 19:48:41 UTC 2008
Steve Snyder <swsnyder at insightbb.com>

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 1:24:08 pm Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 6:59 AM, Steve Snyder <swsnyder at insightbb.com> wrote:
> > Since updating from 4.5 to 4.6 yesterday, I am getting a lot of CUPS
> > errors.  The error.log file is filling up with these messages:
> >
> >         get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/printers' no
> > good!
> >
> > And the access.log seems to be being polled often too, even in the
> > absence of any print jobs submitted.
> >
> > On my network the CUPS-handled printer is exported from Samba.  Given
> > that the Samba RPMs were among those upgraded, I have to wonder what
> > printing-related changes might have occurred.  The hal-cups-utils was
> > also updated in the course of the upgrade.
> >
> > I also notice that CUP's ppds.dat and cupsd.conf files have
> > modification timestamp from around the time I did the upgrade.
> >
> > Any advice as to how to fix whatever was broken in the course of
> > doing the upgrade?
>
> Have you ever sorted this out?  I was also seeing the same message in
> the cups error log.  In your smb.conf file, do (or did) you have lines
> like:
>
>    printing = cups
>    printcap name = cups
>
> If you are still having the issue, try commenting them out.

No, I never did get this fixed.  Nobody had any suggestions as to the
cause of the problem so I've just been living with swollen log files.

I'm going to upgrade to CentOS v5.1 in mid-February, and I've been hoping
that would "fix" it since I don't see 5.1 users complaining about it.

Regarding the smb.conf: yes, I do have those lines.  I'll try commenting
them out.

Is this a problem known to everybody but me?  Is there a bug open on this
behavior?

Thanks.