[CentOS] Making a NAS/HFS server

Wed Jan 9 21:09:23 UTC 2008
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 15:49 -0500, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I ran into a problem that I couldn't resolve straight away, but would
> like to solve for sometime in the future.
>
> We have a Thecus storage server (similar to a Buffalo TeraByte, if that
> helps?) that has a Mac filesystem on it. The mother board was failing,
> but the drives are still OK. A new box has been added, so the urgency is
> sort of gone. I was going to try and back up the data to a new CentOS
> 5.1 box I had until the new Thecus arrived, but ran into the problem of
> Mac resource forks not being copied when I mounted the Thecus as a CIFS
> system.
>
> Is there a commonly used procedure to do the above task of copying a Mac
> (HFS, I think) system to a linux box from the linux box?
>
> This sort of runs into another project we have in the works where we
> want to make the equivalent of a SAN/NAS type storage system. We want to
> have a cluster of Centos boxes running for shared storage, and have the
> ability to add to it seamlessly. But now, I'm wondering if it won't run
> into the same problem with the HFS or other filesystems that may be
> used. I understand NAS storage sort of handles the different filesystem
> protocols by interface, so I wondering if anyone has a pointer to
> something like this also.
>
> Google keeps pointing me in a circle back to an old HFS+ driver that
> sort of stopped development in 2003. The trail ends very abruptly.
>
> Sorry to be so windy, but offer thanks in advance for any clues.
----
If you want to be certain that you preserve the Macintosh resource
forks, you might want to add Netatalk (http://netatalk.sourceforge.net),
which makes it a real AFPoverTCP file server. Then you use a Macintosh
to copy the files over.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you use tar to copy the folders over
which should preserve all of the contents.

Are you sure that those are really HFS (or HFSPlus) filesystems?

Craig