[CentOS] Slightly OT: Dual-booting two Linux dists

Thu Jan 10 05:32:54 UTC 2008
Christopher Chan <christopher at ias.com.hk>

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 3:26 PM, Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org> wrote:
>> * I keep a standalone small /boot (primary partition) with grub
>> which is booted by the MBR.
>
> So what files are in that /boot?  Just the "grub" subdirectory?  Is
> that partition actually mounted as a filesystem on /boot in any of the
> linux installs?

Files that go in /boot are usually just kernel images, their related
initial ramdisk images and grub related files.

As naming of kernels between Centos and Ubuntu are very likely to be
different, having the two installations to share a /boot should not be a
problem.

I suggest first installing one of them and then making a copy of the
menu.1st|grub.conf file in case the installation of the second OS just
overwrites it. If it does get overwritten, you can copy the relevant
lines for the first installation from the copy.