[CentOS] Slightly OT: Dual-booting two Linux dists

Thu Jan 10 05:38:59 UTC 2008
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:09:04 -0800
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a
> wee bit concerned (being an old lilo guy and not very familiar with
> grub yet) that in fact all those references to /boot/initrd.* and
> /boot/vmlinuz* really are loading the same instances from the initial
> install, and that I'd be in trouble when the installs are not both the
> same linux distribution and version.

Read my grub.conf, carefully.

Notice, in particular, the NOTICE at the top:

# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)

Now, further notice that the "root(hd?,?)  entries throughout the grub.conf
file are all pointing to different places.