[CentOS] Making a NAS/HFS server

Thu Jan 10 18:14:14 UTC 2008
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:01 -0500, Steve Campbell wrote:
>

>>> ----
>>> netatalk - link provided earlier in thread, use their cvs version for
>>> CentOS 5
>>>

>> Never used CVS to access a file. I don't see how I can get the files
>> here. For now, I've downloaded the 2.0.3 stable. What are the reasons
>> for using cvs with my 5.1? Will it fail on config/make or what? (Only if
>> you have time to explain)
>>
> ----
> yes, compile will fail.
>
> probably time to learn about cvs then, it's not difficult and
> instructions are there on netatalk cvs (anonymous login is fine)

I've been reading those docs since you mentioned the cvs. It will take
me a little time, though, as there are a few other things going on
around here today. But it's sounds like time well spent when I get
around to it.
> you simply download the source via cvs command instead of clicking a
> tarball, otherwise, little difference
> ----
>
>>> if you have Mac OS 9 clients, you *might* want to use CentOS-plus kernel
>>> since it includes appletalk module which means that with netatalk and
>>> appletalk module, CentOS server will actually show up in the Chooser.
>>> Otherwise, you will have to connect to the printer via IP address not
>>> difficult for OS 9 computers but certainly not the most user friendly
>>> setup.
>>>

>> I've started installing the plus kernels, (xen and vanilla, I may try
>> both). The Mac is an older one so I'll definitely try one of those two
>> kernels. Probably try the stable netatalk just to see also.
>>
>> Now to find the time to read the manual and do some of this.
>>
> ----
> stable (2.0.3) netatalk simply won't compile on CentOS 5 - netatalk
> developers know that.

Bummer!
> xen kernel has nothing to do with this. You don't have to use
> CentOS-Plus kernel if you don't care whether the server appears in the
> chooser of the older Macs (that's known as DDP). You don't have to use
> the CentOS-Plus kernel if you download the kernel source and compile
> your own appletalk module but that's probably more than most are willing
> to do and CentOS generously makes their CentOS-plus kernel available
> which greatly simplifies this because it includes the modules that RHEL
> decided to omit because they don't want to support them.

I installed the xen kernel as well to maybe prevent a lot of problems on
reboot since that's what is running now. Once I get the machine tested,
I'll probably trash it and start over without xen. This was mostly a
test machine for some new raid cages we're trying and it happened to
have enough storage to back up the Thecus. A convenience server for now.
Since I'll reinstall it fresh, it seems like a good machine to play with
for those later problems with the NAS junk.
> Bonus plan today...I'm feeling generous. This is my compile options for
> Netatalk on CentOS-5...

Thanks, you've been more than generous, in my opinion.
> # cat /opt/netatalk-cvs/compile_neta
> ./configure \
>         --enable-overwrite \
>         --prefix=/usr \
>         --exec-prefix=/usr \
>         --sysconfdir=/etc \
>         --localstatedir=/var/lib \
>         --enable-redhat \
>         --enable-timelord \
>         --enable-cups \
>         --with-did=cnid \
>         --with-db3=/usr \
>         --with-pam \
>         --with-shadow \
>         --with-tcp-wrappers \
>         --with-ssl-dir=/usr \
>         --enable-fhs \
>         --with-gssapi=/usr/kerberos/include \
>         --enable-krb4-uam \
>         --enable-krbV-uam \
>         --with-mutex="x86/gcc-assembly"
>
> You're gonna need openssl-devel, krb5-devel, db4-devel, cups-devel
> packages installed for this set of compile options to work.
>
> Craig

Steve