[CentOS] CentOS 5.0 /proc Backup/Restore

Fri Jan 11 02:09:54 UTC 2008
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Jim Perrin wrote:
> /proc and /sys are essentially 'runtime' filesystems which provide
> information about your system, including memory use, available
> hardware, various performance settings, etc. The files in here can
> vary greatly and should not be backed up like you would with /usr/ or
> /var/. Mostly, you should skip /proc and /sys for your backup
> procedures.

Exactly.  I can't think of any reason at all why you'd want to back up
the contents of /proc unless you absolutely needed a snapshot of the
system at a point in time for forensic reasons.

Cheers,