[CentOS] yum hangs when Reading Local RPMDB

Fri Jan 11 15:12:16 UTC 2008
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

> Before I do this without need I have a question: if the rpm db is
> corrupt shouldn't rpm -q or -qa stop working? Kai
Not necessarily.  A regular user can run rpm -q since it doesn't lock
the database (your original posting showed rpm hanging on a FUTEX).  I
don't know rpm internals but I'd guess that simple queries for a
specific package or even a listing of all packages don't go very deep
into the rpm database.  Also, since the database isn't being updated,
there isn't any need to lock the database during the query.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce