[CentOS] yum hangs when Reading Local RPMDB

Fri Jan 11 17:32:01 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Filipe Brandenburger wrote on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:35:16 -0500:

> You can just remove the __db* files (if you're sure they're there because of an
rpm interrupted process, check first if there are no rpm processes running).
__db* are Berkeley DB's lockfiles and are used for transactions inside Berkeley
DB. You don't need to rebuild anything, the RPM database is on the other files on
that directory. Once you remove the locks you'll be able to access it normally.

Hm, the files are __db.001, __db.002 and __db.003 and range up to a size of over
one MB, so they cannot be lockfiles. Yeah, maybe they are interim transaction
files. After removing and doing an rpm query they are back there, in exactly the
same size. I'd rather think they are indexes, there is no transaction necessary
for a read query.
Anyway, after removing and rebuilding them yum works! Thanks.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany