[CentOS] ERROR during HTTP install from a Centos mirror

Sun Jan 13 01:18:51 UTC 2008
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 20:03 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to install centos 5.1 as a http installation from a centos
> mirror.
>
> i've done it before with Fedora, figured I could do it with Centos, too,
> but every time I try it, it goes all the way thru Anaconda to the point
> of entering the root password, then I get an error about not being
> able to find the repodata.
>
> I note that the section in the "upstream" manuals about network installs
> imply (without ever being extremely specific) that you would have your
> own server with the files on it. Is this some limitation that prevents
> us from using a centos mirror instead?
>
> Anyway, I've tried with two mirrors. when it asked me for the system
> name and the path to the directory, I entered this (for one of the
> tries):
>
> www.gtlib.gatech.edu
> /pub/centos/5.1/os/i386
>
> and for the other mirror
>
> mirror.rhsmith.umd.edu
> /pub/centos/5.1/os/i386
>
> in the two lines of the form.
>
> Is this right? (the manuals aren't really really terribly explicit).
----
I would expect it to work as you had it though...
- I would use /pub/centos/5/os/i386
- I would use the same boot disc, i.e.

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-1of6.iso
  to boot the computer

but either way, it should have worked though I thought that the Georgia
Tech web server was quite slow to respond...perhaps anaconda is just
timing out.

as with your path (5.1), the repodata directory is indeed there...

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5/os/i386/repodata/

Craig