[CentOS] Missing autofs update for C5?

Sun Jan 13 19:44:37 UTC 2008
Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>

Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your hard work Karanbir! Would it be possible to get
> some more information about how the update creation / pushing process
> actually works, e.g. a lot of updates are released by upstream at the
> same time for RHEL4 and RHEL5, but not for Centos 4 and Centos5?

Upstream builds all their packages using a single system ( afaik ), and
it goes through a qa process and is released at the same time. However,
centos has typically had an independent buildprocess for each Arch /
Release and different people have managed each process ( which is why
you will find update notifications come from different people for
different Arch/Release ).

The reason for this has been that we never really had all the Arch
capacity at one place and we work out of different timezones. So each
person responsible for their targets did the work independently. Also
some of the arch's like the s390 on CentOS-3 and 4 are built using
emulators. Which means that updates can sometimes lag days behind i386.
And it was decided at the time to not hold i386 up waiting for s390 to
catchup.

With CentOS-5, the entire build process is consolidated into one
process, and as we add more arch's they will all come from the same
process ( which is why you will notice that all centos-5 updates are
pushed at the same time ). The emails announcing the update are still
sent multiple times ( one for each Arch ) - since people have filters in
place to only receive the update notifications they want.

Starting with CentOS-4.4, it also uses the same process ( i386 and
x86_64 ) as CentOS-5, but not for the other Arch's. Pasi - the
maintainer for ia64 and s390 on CentOS-3 and 4 prefers not to change
things at this juncture.

Its my job to keep stuff ticking over in CentOS-5 land, so the fact that
this autofs update was stuck, is completely my fault! Btw, there is an
OpenOffice.org update that is also pending, and should be out by Monday
midday UTC.