[CentOS] PHP 5.2.5 when ?

Mon Jan 14 13:35:25 UTC 2008
Anup Shukla <anup.shkl at gmail.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Anup Shukla wrote:

>>> There is no "correct" method for this, there are only "less wrong"
>>> ways to do it.

>>> No. This method is not advisable at all, because it circumvents the
>>> package management of the system. This point stands for every distro
>>> with a package manager, not just centos.
>>>

>> I think 'make' to something like '/opt/php-5.2.5' would be "less wrong".
>> At least that is where i keep my 'make'd apps.
>
> apache has php dependencies, so you'll be replacing that too?  and, in
> turn, php has dependencies on dozens of other RPMs, like libraries,
> databases, yada yada.    it spirals out.

Yes, i have been bitten by this.
But at times you are left with no option.
I *needed* 5.2.x and so had to compile and install
apache and php both.

In addition, since php wont compile with the available mysql,
i had to put a copy (static) of the same.

And then it was the extensions and a plethora of other things.

It was more work than what i would like to put in.

But given the situation that i *must* compile something on my own,
i think its better to put it in "/opt" or something similar.

--
Regards,
Anup Shukla