[CentOS] Re: PHP 5.2.5 when ?

Tue Jan 15 21:40:55 UTC 2008
Morten Torstensen <morten at mortent.org>

Steven Vishoot wrote:
>> I can't understand why people choose an enterprise
>> distro for it's longevity,
>> and then proceed to try and break it. It is almost
>> like buying a brand new car
>> and then immediately replacing the engine.
> Does Having your cake and eating come to mind?

No, because in this case your cake disappears in thin air as soon as you
try to eat it. Replacing major components in CentOS really goes against
the entire idea of an enterprise linux distro. Do it only if you really
really have to and if you really understand every implication of it.

You make your apps work on CentOS/RHEL, you don't make CentOS/RHEL work
with your apps. This is how the enterprise work. The application vendors
  of enterprise grade apps test and develop to the enterprise linux distros.

I am afraid the analogy police will have to come and arrest you... :)

//Morten