[CentOS] Can I remove X11 while keeping LSB compatibility?

Tue Jan 22 11:18:29 UTC 2008
Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com>

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Richard Cooper wrote:

> Is it possible to safely break this dependancy chain so that I keep
> redhat-lsb while removing X11? I'm trying to keep all of my package
> management restricted to 'yum' and I certainly want to avoid 'rpm --nodeps'.
>
> Looking at /etc/alternatives/ makes me think there must be another package
> besides cups which provides /usr/bin/lpr but I can't seem to find it. I won't
> be doing any printing from this machine so I would even be happy with a dummy
> /usr/bin/lpr which simply throws away anything it receives.

You can't break the dependency w/o using nodeps.  There is no technical reason
to keep the lsb package if you are not going to keep the things it depends
on.  And if you don't keep the dependencies, then you don't have a fully
lsb compliant system.  There is no technical problem with that, though
you may have internal to your company issues.

If you don't need them, yum erase away.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine