[CentOS] Worth upgrading desktop to 5.1?

Wed Jan 23 17:48:20 UTC 2008
Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com>

> Want to have security updates?

That depends.  If the security update is for a local vulnerability on my own
single-user workstation then I may think twice before installing it.  In other
words, if the security risk is minimal then it may not be worth the hassle of
upgrading my kernel and having to recompile custom drivers and programs.

I spent a lot of time tweaking my system to get it set up the way I like, and
I don't completely trust yum not to screw things up.  For example, why not
just disable the older kernel instead of deleting it:

--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 set to be erased