[CentOS] Re: Worth upgrading desktop to 5.1?

Wed Jan 23 20:06:52 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> So, yes there are deeply compelling reasons to upgrade. If you want to
>> have patches for several kernel buffer exploits, as well as many other
>> security and functionality patches, you need to do one thing;
>>
>> yum upgrade, and answer yes.
>>
>> Or even easier;
>> yum -y upgrade.
>
> When I have some time to re-compile VMWare server modules, my graphics
> driver, vpn client and wifi driver I may consider updating.  If in the
> meantime a pack of ninjas breaks in and owns my box with a local buffer
> overrun exploit, well, you can't say I wasn't warned.

If you want to keep your existing kernel for a while, just change the
grub default back after the update installs the new one.  Then you can
switch, reboot, and rebuild the necessary stuff whenever you have a chance.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com