[CentOS] Appreciate the help...

Thu Jan 24 04:15:23 UTC 2008
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:12:13PM -0500, Scott Ehrlich alleged:
> I received some interesting answers to my cron question.  Most people said
> it was not possible.  One person reviewed cron's source code and said the
> source would need to be modified.  One person said I should mount the
> filesystem with noexec.   I'll review and test the answers as best I can.

In my own defense of not mentioning "modify the source", that is *always* an
option.  It is especially implied in the open source.  It is one of the
principle reasons for having open source in the first place!

That said, I quite like the general idea of adding some type of policy
enforcement to cron.  It reminds me of httpd' suexec.  It has several such
restrictions on the binary it executes.