[CentOS] DVD support on CentOS 5.1

Thu Jan 24 06:42:37 UTC 2008
Sysadmin at dte.net <Sysadmin at dte.net>

Thank you VERY much mhr! I appreciate your time and will go grab MPlayer
right now!

Take care,
Manuel

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of MHR
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:33 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD support on CentOS 5.1

On Jan 23, 2008 10:08 PM, <Sysadmin at dte.net> wrote:

> Hello out there!

Hello.

> Been around the block trying to get DVD support for Totem, but I keep
running into dead ends everywhere I go. Looking for CentOS 5.1-compatible
xine and xine-lib packages as that seems to be the answer, but the only ones
I find (like on DAG) seem to be just dead links or I get a message that the
mirrors are unavailable when I try to run the rpm.

> Can anyone provide a link for rpm's that will provide DVD support on
CentOS 5.1 32bit? I installed the Gstream rpm's so at least I have mp3 and
mpeg support, I just really want DVD support as well.

I have found that using yum to install and update from rpmforge
(DAG's) works fairly well, for xine anyway.

However, that said, I have never been able to get Totem to work
properly - some things its plays, others not.

I have had better luck with Xine, which plays more DVDs, but still
balks at quite a few.

I've had the best results with MPlayer, and have yet to find an
uncorrupted, unencrypted sound or video file it can't play.  You can
get that from rpmforge as well, and it's my choice for the best.  The
only gripe I have about it is that it doesn't understand m3u play
lists unless you tell it that the file is aplaylist, and then it works
just fine.

My $0.02.

mhr