[CentOS] Problem installing the 53.1.6 kernel

Thu Jan 24 08:47:14 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Jan 23, 2008 11:33 PM, Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How long were you waiting before ctrl ^c it? are you
> sure you did not kill it too soon. this sounds to me
> to be very inpatient person trying to update kernel

I'm not exactly sure - somewhere between fifteen minutes and half an
hour.  I checked with top before the interrupt and yum/rpm was nowhere
in sight on a 50 line terminal screen, and with ps to ensure that
there was no time being used by that process (ps showed that it had
used a total of 14 seconds of time and did not budge from there for at
least five minutes.

I know (by now) not to be impatient with this sort of thing - kernels
are tricky enough to work with when they work 100%..

The first time, I was surprised that it had taken so long and not
finished - that's when I started to investigate.

I'm thinking it might be something I installed that might have
interfered, but the last successful install I did was ecasound and
vobcopy, both from reliable repos, and the last unsuccessful install
was k9copy which didn't like my gnome desktop or my CentOS (it's a
Fedora package), so I gave up on it.

Thanks.

mhr