[CentOS] Why Kudzu, Why?

Fri Jan 25 00:02:22 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

John Hinton wrote:

> I haven't disabled Kudzu on most of my systems, but I really do wonder
> if there is really any reason to keep it running after the initial
> system install. These servers might get a new drive from time to time,
> only replacing a drive in the array with a like drive. Maybe some
> additional ram. Almost never any other hardware changes... I'm fairly
> confident that these changes are all handled entirely by the system's
> bios, either machine or raid interface bios.

I've been disabling kudzu on all of my systems immediately after
kickstart(along with a slew of other services) for years now. New
ram is picked up automatically(unless your on 32-bit and need to
upgrade to a PAE kernel or something). I don't change the local
disk count but many systems are constantly getting/removing disks
from the SAN, (primarily software iSCSI), no kudzu needed. When
I manipulate FC connected systems I just use the /proc/scsi/scsi
interface, it's fairly simple.

Also most of my servers have dual network ports, and most are on
only one network so I bond the interfaces together(active/failover)
so either/or/both NICs can be plugged in and it'll work fine.

Running about 90 RHEL/CentOS systems at my current place, had
around 350 at my last job.

nate