[CentOS] Intel (brand) Penryn (8xxx) motherboard which works natively with CentOS 4/5?

Fri Jan 25 14:32:51 UTC 2008
Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

Drew Weaver wrote:
>                 Has anyone stumbled across an Intel brand motherboard
> which both works with the 8000 series of CPUs and with CentOS 4/5 out of
> the box? (by works I mean the NIC/Disk controllers without “fudgery”)
>

> The DG31 board “kind of” works but unfortunately it has 2 DIMM slots,
> the realtek NIC isn’t supported (don’t know why, its just a standard
> realtek NIC, although it might be some new PCI-E one).

The nic may just need a one line kernel driver patch so that the kernel
driver sees it as an appropriate device it can handle.

I've seen that a couple of times in the past with onboard nics. Usually
the current vanilla kernel supports it, and you just need to find the
difference that made it work (I think pci id or something like that). I
don't know how easy it is to get rhel to patch the kernel for it in
those cases.