[CentOS] WPA question

Sun Jan 27 12:45:46 UTC 2008
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 01:39:01PM +0100, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> > Specifically, could a laptop running Centos 5.1 be expected to (be
> > able to) connect to a wireless access point using WPA2 security
> > settings?
> Yes, it could. I am using a laptop with a pcmcia wlan card with wpa2
> and aes and 54Mbit/s. It is connected with a speedport 701 access
> point. This is working cause of the ralink rt61 chipset of the wlan
> card. This setting is working without any problems here. You can get
> the driver from
> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html. You have to
> compile this driver after each new kernel update.
>
> The most problem is to find a wlan card with a ralink rt61 chipset at
> the moment. I have found one at
> http://www.tuxhardware.de/product431/product_info.html for my second
> notebook.

Thanks, Olaf, as well as those others who have replied.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out what wireless chipset is
in use in this laptop. It's built in and "just works" for WEP, without
effort, so one could hope it's well-enough supported for WPA.

A year or so ago when I first got my wireless router (Linksys WRT54GL)
I couldn't get WPA to work with FC5, but then I didn't have a clue HOW,
either. Since that is my only wireless device, and since I don't use it
a lot at home (mostly for travel) I usually leave wireless disabled in
the router anyway, especially since WEP isn't secure.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us