[CentOS] question on "cp -f" on centos 5.1

Mon Jan 28 18:48:42 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Jerry Geis wrote:
> When I issue the command cp -af --reply=yes * ../other
> it tells me --reply is deprecated and use -i or -f.
>
> when I remove the --reply=yes I have to indicate 'y' to every
> file being copied.
>
> I just want to copy every file in my current directory to another
> directory and overwrite any file that is there.
>
> What is the correct way to do that?

Use -f as the you got as the error message.

[angenenr at shutdown test]$mkdir a b
[angenenr at shutdown test]$touch a/foo a/bla
[angenenr at shutdown test]$touch b/foo b/bla
[angenenr at shutdown test]$cp -f a/foo a/bla b/
[angenenr at shutdown test]$

Cheers,

Ralph