[CentOS] boot slow at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules"

Mon Jan 28 21:29:56 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Dan Halbert wrote:
> I have a fairly vanilla install of Centos5 on a desktop box (with a
> Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit NIC). When booting, the boot
> process hangs at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules" for 30-60 seconds
> before proceeding, which is annoying. I have not tried to turn off
> ipv6 networking. I guess I could, but is this slowness to be expected?
> Is it waiting for some ipv6 response?

# chkconfig ip6tables off

will probably stop this from occurring.   looks like
/etc/init.d/ip6tables invokes /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables-config then if it
finds them, /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables ..  the -config file just sets some
environment variables, so probably doesn't take more than a blink, while
/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables is going to attempt to set whatever firewall
rules are in there.