[CentOS] Re: Dump on remote filesystems?

Tue Jan 29 17:04:56 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 1/29/2008 5:35 AM Scott Ehrlich spake the following:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Tom Brown wrote:
>

>>> I have a couple C5 systems I want to back up.  My plan is to, one way
>>> or another, back them up to a C5 machine in my office.  I have samba
>>> installed on the systems to back up, the machines are mounted on the
>>> system in my office, and a tape library hanging of the system in my
>>> office.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to perform a simple /sbin/dump of the remote systems.  I
>>> put together a script for another successful backup I have going on a
>>> system with local filesystems.  But for remote filesystems, I get
>>> errors of File Cannot Be Accessed (//remote_system/subdir) which does
>>> exist as an smb mounted filesystem.
>>>
>>> I'd use NFS, but I would like a bit more control and some level of
>>> encryption for the user authentication and data being transferred.
>>>
>>> If a direct dump of remote smb filesystems isn't possible, I may opt
>>> to have each system perform their own local dumps, then run a script
>>> locally on the tape-connected machine to dump those local dumps, or
>>> copy the dumps locally then dump them to tape.
>>>
>>> If nothing else works, I can always install Windows XP and use
>>> Windows backup program, but I'd really like to try and get this going
>>> under Linux before going that route.
>>
>> use amanda, www.amanda.org
>>
>> it rocks
>
> My fundamental question is why dump claims it cannot access what I want
> it to back up.   What's to say other solutions - Amanda, etc, will work
> any better?   I want to know how to resolve the source problem before
> looking into other products.   How will BackupPC or Amanda do any better?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
I do not believe that dump will work over smb. I'm not sure that you can dump
over nfs reliably. You might want run dump on the remote systems and have the
destination files on smb mounted file system. Then you can tar those to tape
(or cpio or whatever you choose). Or share the tape drive over iSCSI and dump
to that.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and