[CentOS] rsync and swapping

Wed Jan 30 19:24:44 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

MHR wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 8:26 AM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> As long as the majority of the files are not plain text - I have had
> really bad results using bzip2 on text files - specifically, massive
> file corruption.  I have had to go back to pre-bzipped archives to
> rebuild these files - not a fun task.

I've been using pigz for a while (Parallel gzip), to compress
100+GB tar files, it works well if you have multiple CPUs. Never
encountered corruption with bzip2 myself, there is a parallel bzip
but it's about 8x slower.

from my notes:
--
To compile:
gcc pigz17.c -lpthread -lz -o pigz

Sample command line:
pigz -p 10 -v (filename)

The default 32 threads seems to be kind of high, drives load up quite
a bit, while 10 threads at least in a simple test on a 2GB file
kept load a lot lower but still kept the CPUs busy at 100% utilization
on a dual core system. YMMV.

original source:
http://zlib.net/pigz17.c.gz

if that doesn't exist there may be a new version, try pibz18.c.gz  19.c.gz
..etc
---

To be safe, since I deployed it a few months ago I've been running
gzip -t afterwards on the files, and all of them have passed.

nate