[CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:40:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:

> Hi John!
>
> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver just
> repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles itself if a
> new kernel is installed. For the vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write
> a script for that and the number of workstation here is not big enough
> that it justifies that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and
> testing a boot time script is a pain in the a##)
> Obviously the script in the RPM-package doesn't know how to behave
> during an upgrade (let's see how it fares when the first
> 5.2-kernel-update comes along)

I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not recompile
itself automatically at all.  I used dkms once a great many kernels
ago, and the driver has been recompiled for me for every single update
since then (4.4, I think), including my update to 5.2.  I didn't see
any reference to this in this thread at all, so I'm assuming that you
are not using dkms.

For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the driver, I
didn't see any mention of a recompile - did you do that?

Now, if your driver doesn't work after an explicit recompile, that's a
different problem.

mhr