[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:52:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 23:51 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> hce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
>> audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
>> CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?
>>
>> Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
>> Controller (rev 03)
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Jim
>>
> When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
> saying that there's no sound device?

No.

>> Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
>> can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
>> work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio

Please see following lspci information for the audio, seems ok.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
        Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

> If I recall you're using gnome. You should (but may not) have a
> volume icon on your panel. Right click that icon and ensure that the
> mute box is not checked. If it's not checked, select "Open Volume
> Control" and make sure your volume is turned up. If you still do not
> have sound try right clicking the volume speaker icon again and
> selecting "Preferences". Make sure that the correct device is selected.

All checked, no problem at all.

> Be aware that the volume control panel default settings may not show all
> the pertinent controls. In that panel you may need to edit preferences
> to show such things as PCM control, etc. Some of these may also be muted
> and/or set to very low volumes.

The Volume Control Preference is set to:

HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)

PCM

Mute is not checked, and the volumes are adjusted to maximum levels.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim