[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 07:49:54 UTC 2008

Of
>Les Mikesell
>Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:32 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?
>
>Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>

>>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>>
>>> Grow data online, convert between RAID levels online, migrate data
>>> between spindle types(FC<->SATA) online etc. Create a volume, and
>>> you never have to worry about answering the question 'is it really
>>> optimal?' because you can change it at any time without application
>>> impact or downtime.
>>
>> Sounds awfully expensive. True?
>
>Most of them are, but you can add whole shelves of disks.  I'm not sure
>it matters so much in a case that holds six drives that you fill from
>the start and then have nowhere to grow anyway.

The guy who initially asked, IIRC, wanted some 3-4TB storage. This can be
accomplished easily with a regular mid/maxi-size tower and a handful of
1TB-SATA drives. Even the midsize oldish Compucase-case I have at home can fit
four 3,5"-drives in the hd-cage and another four in the 5,25"-bays. Suppose
you fill that case with 1TB-drives and you have 8TB available. My argument is
that there is no explicit need for the hardware you mention, despite how sexy
it sounds. 8-)

My understanding was that he wanted some kind mid-level kind of storage
solution based on hw he already had and not sink the entire budget on a
roomful of EMC etc hardware. OTOH, this discussion has been a bit sidetracked
since the beginning. 8-)