[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jul 2 10:44:16 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> You're quite right with what you say. I have a 2U chassis already, with
> a Gigabyte motherboard + 2GB RAM + Core 2 Duo E7650. I also have a few
> 160GB SATA HDD's laying around, but they're too small. So, I'll be
> option to put 6 (if I can get the HDD cages fitted into the chassis) 1TB
> HDD's into it instead, which with RAID 10 will give me 3TB space.
>
> Thus, I don't want to spend more money to buy new equipment if I have
> this already.
>
> Using CentOS is preferred since I know it the best. I haven't used

This thread is quite interesting, I think quite a lot of people who
contributed to it dont seem to realise you can do everything using just
the stock CentOS distro, and if you are using CentOS-5, the scsi-target
tools will let  you setup and manage iscsi targets as well.

Setup lvm on the raw drives, and get snapshot and lvm mirror support as
well.