[CentOS] Re: is CentOS an LSB certified product?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 2 13:48:03 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Sure, it will make the transition smoother for gamers, sound
> engineers, etc who need those extra drivers, but how would it work for
> the different distro's? I mean, if we have CentOS LSB, and the
> directory & file structure is standard complaint, does it mean other
> distro's will need todo that as well, or will it mean that hardware
> developers will only write their drivers for the specific distro's
> which are LSB complaint?

LSB doesn't do squat for drivers as there's no binary compatibility at
all between even different sub-level revisions of the kernel.    the
kernel team has pretty much ensured that binary driver compatibility
will never happen...  the attitude is that all drivers should be source
code and should be managed by the kernel team, however, this flies in
the face of hardware that requires extensive trade secrets be exposed in
the driver sources.    some vendors have met this in the middle with a
half-open driver model (nvidia for example) where their core
intellectual property is hidden in a binary module thats linked with an
outer source code driver 'wrapper'