[CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:29:15 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:41 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:
> Hi John!
> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver just
> repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles itself if a
> new kernel is installed. For the vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write
> a script for that and the number of workstation here is not big enough
> that it justifies that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and
> testing a boot time script is a pain in the a##) Obviously the script
> in the RPM-package doesn't know how to behave during an upgrade (let's
> see how it fares when the first 5.2-kernel-update comes along)

I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not recompile itself
automatically at all.  I used dkms once a great many kernels ago, and the
driver has been recompiled for me for every single update since then (4.4, I
think), including my update to 5.2.  I didn't see any reference to this in
this thread at all, so I'm assuming that you are not using dkms.

For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the driver, I didn't
see any mention of a recompile - did you do that?

Now, if your driver doesn't work after an explicit recompile, that's a
different problem.

Yes, for DKMS users it should auto recompile on Kernel Upgrade. For users of
the Proprietary Nvidia Driver it will not. You will have to manually
recompile it.

CentOS mailing list
CentOS at centos.org