[CentOS] INIT 5 and system is gone

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 2 15:54:11 UTC 2008

Is this formatted better?

nate wrote:

>> Try changing your Loging Level to "Debug" or use the appropriate number 1-4
>> for it. Use your backup Xconfig file if you got one. You do have it backed
>> up correct?

backup? What is that? :)
I have yet to get this system all configured to back it up....

And where do I set the logging level?

> I don't recall seeing if the OP mentioned if the system had to be
> power cycled or not in order to reboot it.

Yep. Unplug it, plug it back in, press the on button (when like this the
off button does nothing).

> Another thing to try is
> to configure the system to use a serial console, as loading X may
> be causing a kernel panic. With the serial console you'll be able to
> pick up the messages produced on the console pretty easily.

No serial port. No parallel port. Just VGA, 4 USBs, and Audio. And no
access to setting the BIOS.  So any access is via the VGA and USB
kybd/mouse or remote console.