[CentOS] laptop wireless--orinoco_cs, can it do WPA?

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jul 3 00:13:37 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'm messing about with an old Toshiba Tecra laptop. i've got wireless
working well using NetworkManager and WEP. But I'm interested in finding
out if it is possible to get WPA/TKIP or other WPA variants to work with
that driver.

According to dmesg, boottime diagnostics include:
eth0: Hardware identity 0005:0004:0005:0000
eth0: Station identity  001f:0001:0008:000a
eth0: firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.10
eth0 Station name "HERMES I"

I've been googling a lot and most of what I see seems to indicate
that there's no WPA support in that hardware, but that it may be
possible to do WPA anyway if the drivers have the right set of patches.
But so far I've not found anything definitive, especially not something
that goes back far enough to be in a modestly old product like Centos 5.2.

but anyway, if anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate some hints.

Thanks!

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."