[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 01:19:11 UTC 2008

hce wrote:

>> I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
>> examine that might give a clue.

That makes you and me both.

>> First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
>> audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.
>
> Please see following results from modproble.conf and lsmod. I can see
> that the soundcore was loaded, I guess the audio module was loaded,
> right?
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 tg3
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias scsi_hostadapter1 ahci
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

<snipped some of the output>

> snd_hda_intel          24793  1
> snd_hda_codec         210881  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_seq_dummy           7877  0
> snd_seq_oss            32577  0
> snd_seq_midi_event     11073  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                49585  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device         11725  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            42945  0
> snd_mixer_oss          19009  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                72005  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              24517  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    52421  11
> snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              11553  1 snd
> sg                     36189  0
> ide_cd                 40033  0
> snd_page_alloc         14281  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

> The 5.2 was installed from scratch, it was not updated from an old version.

<snipped>

> I've checked dmesg and messages, but could not find any word to Audio,
> or audio, or sound. But again, I checked dmesg and messages from my
> desktop which installed FC7 and I could not find anything to audio and
> sound as well.
>
> The only suspecious I could find was following boot message, but I am
> not sure it was related or not, and not sure how could fix following.
>
> PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq".  If it helps, post a report
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5

I can't speak to this, I'm not familiar with the above output. I'll
look into it this evening.

>> Under 5.2, do an lsmod and see if the drivers were loaded. Also, after
>> the updatedb, use locate and see if the module is found.
>
> What is the name of the audio module and driver from lsmod? I can only
> found soundcore as above.

The module's name is snd-hda-intel. It's listed in your output from
lsmod. I see it up there, I removed most of the irrelevant (to me at
least) modules that were in there so you could more easily see it.

> Thank you so much.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jim

What's interesting about your problem is that it was mentioned in
several Ubuntu forums while I was googling. The solutions I've seen
mentioned both in Suse and Ubuntu forums is to use the latest
version of Alsa. That may require some 'by hand' installation, and I
am not sure you want to do that.

Here are a couple of links that mention the card "just working" and
issues similar to yours.

http://bluegargoyle.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-R61i-CentOS5-MAJ20080428.html
Mind the wrapping, but this link shows the controller just working.

Someone having the no sound problem on a different laptop make and
model, but same sound controller as yours.

I looked around for some devices with that chipset, but I don't have
any, so I can't experiment. I'll keep scouring the net.

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release